FoodsHealth

Calcium

Duties in Body Work

Construction of bones and teeth.

Muscle contraction.

Study of nerves.

Maintaining normal blood pressure.

Blood clotting.

It is necessary to keep the cells together.

99% of the calcium in the body is found in the bones and teeth, and the remaining 1% is found in body fluids and cells.

In the Insufficiency of Calcium

In deficiency of calcium and vitamin D; rickets in children, osteomalasia in adult women and osteoporosis in the elderly. Rickets and osteo-malasia are the failure , softening and bending of the bones. Osteoporosis is the breakage of bones. Calcium absorption; Vitamin D facilitates lactose, vitamin C, organic acids, some amino acids found in milk . The consumption of bread made from un-fermented flour, and the use of antacid drugs for a long time and excessive amount prevents absorption.

Daily Calcium Needs

The daily requirement for adult individuals is 1000 mg. 800 mg in children, 1300 mg in adolescence and 1300 mg in pregnant and lactating women.

Vitamin D is extremely important for strengthening bones and teeth, especially in infants. Vitamin D can be synthesized from the skin by direct sunlight or taken from foods. The need for vitamin D is quite high in infants fed breast milk in the first year.

Most of the calcium found in nutrient sooner

Milk and dairy products (yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc.) are the best sources of calcium. The absorption of calcium in milk and milk products is high. Egg yolks, cereals, legumes and oilseeds are also good sources of calcium. The absorption of calcium in green leafy vegetables and cereals is low. Oxalates ( oxalic acid) in green leafy vegetables and phytates ( phytic acid) in cereals combine with calcium to prevent absorption from the small intestine. The high amount of pulp in the diet also affects calcium absorption negatively .

Vitamin D and Calcium Production

Vitamin D is mostly produced in our skin. The sun is very useful for our body. Our body’s need for vitamin D is largely provided by the sun. Vitamin D productivity is higher in infants, especially since babies’ skin is more permeable to sun permeability.

Vitamin D is found in animal foods such as butter, milk, cheese, fish and liver. In addition, some plants also have vitamin D. However, vitamin D is stored only in animal foods.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close